Sunday, March 14, 2010

Big East Tournament Day 5 Recap





3 West Virginia 60 8 Georgetown 58 - Da'Sean Butler hit a runner with 4 seconds left to give West Virginia their first Big East Tournament title. Butler won the Most Outstanding Player of the tournament. Butler scored his basket after Chris Wright tied the score on a lay up for Georgetown. Wright missed a lay up that would have tied the score at the buzzer. Wright also committed a foul with 27 seconds left with the score tied. Wright finished with 20-7 assists for the Hoyas. Austin Freeman had 14, including a 3 to tie the score with under a minute left. Butler led WVU with 20-6. Kevin Jones had 12, and Wellington Smith threw up a 11-10 double double. West Virginia has a case for a number 1 seed in the NCAA tournament. I think that it should probably go to them, although if it went to Duke, I wouldn't mind. 

It was really nice and really weird seeing Huggins so emotional when they won. I felt really good for him, and for West Virginia. You can tell that Bob Huggins really cares about his players, his school, and representing the state. I'm not saying that he didn't at Cincinnati, but West Virginia is his home. He was able to come home, and win. His relationship with Da'Sean Butler reminds me of the one he had with all the Cincinnati greats we watched suit up. It is great to see. I know most Cincinnati fans were pulling for Huggs, at least I was, and even though he's not our coach, and I'd like people to accept the fact, it was great seeing him succeed on that stage. I hope they play well in the NCAAs. Everything happens, and the way things happened Saturday night were pretty special. Congratulations West Virginia, congratulations Da'Sean Butler, and congratulations Bob Huggins. 

A couple other notes. I participated in the First Annual Big East Blogger Awards over at Voodoo 5. Our awards were a little different than the ones the Big East doled out. Check it out. I'll be doing an NCAA tournament breakdown in all probability. I love the big dance, and I'll put something together for it. I'll also have coverage for whatever tournament UC ends up in. I'll have their fate up tomorrow night. Be sure to check back, and thanks for reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment